Monday, October 17, 2011

Term Tuesdays - Telecom Fraud Explained

Each Tuesday I will be attempting to explain a different Telecom Fraud related term or concept. 


Where possible, I will include real world examples. For some cases I may not be allowed to release the specific information about the customer and then will provide the cases in general terms.

Topics will include
  • Calls to Known Fraudulent Numbers or Destinations
  • Hacking
  • Internal Misconduct
  • Malware
  • Off Hour Call
  • PBX Dial-Through
  • Phishing
  • Proactive Monitoring
  • Service & Application Level Fraud
  • Subscription Fraud

As this is intended to be educational I will try to include links to original articles or sources where the information originated, where they exist. Many of these will be related to white papers I, or my coworkers publish on the Humbug Telecom Labs site.

Where they are applicable to a specific market segment or product type, I will identify them.

When ever possible I will give tips or suggestions on how to prevent this type of fraud.